Saturday, December 27, 2008

Flu Who?

Never ever will I say only 'feel better' when someone has the flu. Call me a big baby, but, my goodness, two weeks of the flu and I would rather get my wisdom teeth out every single day that I have felt sick. Now I know what works, and doesn't. And, thinking you'll get better in a few days, doesn't. Cayenne pepper, ginger, tea, orange juice, soup--- it's great, and it works. And it's really reassuring... day one, two, even three. Then, you reach for the boxed drugs. And boy, thank you modern medicine. From sweats and shakes and pounding headaches, nausea, sleeplessness, dizziness, dry throat and perhaps some hallucination, oh, and some tears.... now, as a bonified participant, I can say.... grab the box of drugs at the same time you grab the ginger. Don't be fooled, one only masks the symptoms... you still need to stay put and heal, but, oh how nice it is when you slip that mask on. :-)

It may seem very obvious to some. Duh, it's the flu. It sucks. WELL, I understood that it sucked. But, like my firm belief, you know it better when you can interact, when you can teach, when you can play--- well, I played with the flu. And I get it. And I am thankful. I'm thankful that it was (and is, ugh) still only the flu. I'm thankful for my limbs, for my digits, for my eyes... for everything that was sore and overheated or frigid. I'm thankful that I had what I needed, that people around me cared and let me sleep in, and stay on the couch. I'm thankful that the tap water was drinkable, orange juice plentiful and my surroundings more than safe, more than accommodating. Perspective helps when you are sick, I've decided. So boo hoo.... flu who. I've got you right where I want you.... on the outs. (But if you could hurry up and leave, I'm be much appreciative)

No comments:

Post a Comment