Thursday, December 11, 2008

Baby Bloggers Bright Beginning

It is easy for alliteration to reach it's point of diminishing marginal return pretty quickly, like a bowl of Mrs. Brazil's candy corn. You can only take so much before you start to regret your decision.

Well, I've begun the journey down Blog Blvd, beating a beat and blogging a bunch is beneficial for the boastful bystander who is beguiled to believe that a bug can be the bottom line of a brand new blog. OK, I'll back of the b-words before I bore you to b-death.

Everyone has a reason for blogging, and while you (the reader), may not care for an explanation, I do think that that is a reason for a blog right there. It's mine! Not yours! Who CARES what you think, right?

Nay, and oui (pronounced wh-aay in pockets of southern France). This whole beautiful blogging b-... OK, I'll stop... this blog is a result of several people's encouragement, and my own obsession with words. So, it's for me and for you. And, like life, we have choices. Whether we write and whether we read. No pressure. Quite nice! But what is it that you are reading? Yes, yes, my ramblings... but, what about a bug?

The title. Yesterday's Neat Bug comes from a discussion with two, maybe three of my good NY friends. Whom, Lindsay and Kelly (Julia would agree, but I'm not sure if she was there during this event), I know love me dearly, but, like b-words have only a certain level of tolerance for me, and, my potentially mind-numbingly boring stories.

I distinctly remember the moment when I realized that I am verbose to a level beyond normal 20-something year-old females. There had been a bug, a very neat bug, as I had eloquently chosen to describe it, the previous day on my back deck. Well, around a round of Blue Lite's, or perhaps a meal of GoHo, or maybe the dance/hockey basement of our youth, I told the story. Excited, I explained that I had seen a very neat bug, the previous day, on my deck. I described it (probably not well) and then finished the story of my 'adventure' on the deck, that had, no ending really. Had I just shared the fact, that would be one thing, but I told it in a story format "Yesterday, I went out on my deck, it was a sunny day... blah blah blah, cool bug, green wings, blah blah blah, the end." I saw nothing wrong with this story.

A perfect representation of 50% of my stories I tell 100% of the time I am around my friends, my neighbors, my colleagues, people in line at grocery stores, people driving down the street, etc. It was an event I found interesting enough to share. My friends pointed out to me, that, what I found interesting, was not always interesting. They did not want to change me (um, I hope), but instead they brought enlightenment to comparison-- I'm a talker, regardless.

So, the name of this blog. Explained. Doesn't it sound like it will be a thrilling ride? Pages and pages of blog about 'neat bugs' and words that begin with b? Have no fear. That's only 50% of the time. :-)

The reason I started it? This trip and my new found love for the written word. Mmmm... poetry. Mmmm... books and lyrics, quotable quotes and the sweet, strong, and smooth abilities of language. Also, when I mentioned to my mom"I'm thinking about starting a blog." She said, "Well, it makes sense, you always have something to say."

Evidence of that in the 15 paragraphs I just typed explaining why I even have this space to write in. Evidence also in this tiny conversation.

"You're a native." mom
"What? English speaker?" me
"No, blogger." mom, pause. "Or is it inate? It's inate."

Punctuation, spelling and correct usage of the standards of English language may/or may not be used throughout the blog-journey.

I'd like to thank my sponsors. Coffee and chocolate and people who read blogs when they should be (or maybe shouldn't be) doing something else.

1 comment:

  1. I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS.

    Just thought you should know. Write on sista!

    ReplyDelete