Thursday, December 24, 2009

Cristy in the Land of Marshmallows

It´s late, 1:11 to be exact, on Christmas morning.

Cristy, as I am being called despite my continual repeating of my name as Christina (see how I am bending to fit the culture, normally I would not allow this) is not happy.

Cristy has been in the land of marshmallow eating guatemalans for 6 hours too much. A tired person can take only so much rapid language immersion into the unknown. A tired vegetarian can eat only so much meaty tamale and sliced white bread (why aren´t we eating the fresh garlic and parsely bread I made today, please, someone answer me) in one night. A tired person can only take so much. Well, this tired person didn´t make it all day without a tear.

I love my family, and my friends, but what I teared up over was a 50 50 tie between exhaustion and missing the idea of being understood and included. And why, people, why do you have to keep asking me if I am sad to not be at home when I have a big grin on my face? I´m not sad, but now that you mention it, maybe I should be. Also, please, if one more person asks me about my novio in the states, and if I miss him, I am going to pummel them with the marshmallows they so love. I don´t have a husband or a boyfriend, and 24 is not old to need to have one either.

Thankful, yes. I sure am. This blog, right now, is my outlet. And I feel plugged in, although, really, the energy is waning, and I need to find my bed. Nay, I need to find my underarmor and then my bed. And I shall wake up, for the first time in 24 years, not in Irondequoit New York for Christmas day.

And what am I doing on Christmas day besides celebratinig the birth of my namesake? Well maybe a little guatemalan rollerblading after I sign up for a volcano hike. Hey, if I have to sit through hours of being ignored and much confusion, but the reward is to sleep on the most active volcano in guatemala... then bring on the blah blah blah. And the mora pan I made. Bring that on too. But, maybe tomorrow.

Well, you. You did it. Merry Christmas, as I said to everyone in the one moment I pushed upon everyone for my american self. Feliz Navidad and Merry Christmas.

Peace and Marshmallows to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment